3 large Blackberries
2 oz. Woodford Reserve Bourbon Whiskey
1/2 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup Manhattan Rimmer
- – Make Manhattan Rimmer: Mix 4 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- – Rim martini glass with Manhattan Rimmer
- – Muddle blackberries, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
- – Add ice and Woodford Reserve
- – Shake
- – Strain into rimmed martini glass.
- – Instead of a twist I like to cut out small stars of lemon rind by using mini star shaped cookie cutters
- – Drop your stars in and enjoy
“I began by wanting to showcase pieces of Kentucky while maintaining the timelessness of a Classic Manhattan. Blackberries, the state fruit of Kentucky, were a must. I continued building my cocktail from there using flavors found in a Classic Manhattan. Like Woodford Reserve is nestled in the heart of bourbon country, Central park is the heart of Manhattan. Bringing these two gems of Natioanl History together will create a New Classic.” – Lauren Sundberg, Marriott Griffin Gate, Lexington, Kentucky
Lauren submitted this cocktail for competition in the Manhattan Experience and Craft of the Ultimate Manhattan Contest in Louisville with Woodford Reserve and Esquire magazine, read more about it here.